NYC Explosion: Furious Backlash as Council Blocks Central Park Horse-Carriage Ban!

Central Park’s iconic horse-drawn carriages—beloved by tourists, criticised by activists, and symbolic of old New York—will continue operating for the foreseeable future. A controversial proposal seeking to phase out the horse-carriage industry failed to secure approval from a key New York City Council committee on Friday, following a tense and heavily attended hearing.

The Council’s Committee on Health voted against advancing the motion to the full council, effectively halting the legislative push for now. The decision prompted immediate celebration from the Transport Workers Union of America, which represents the city’s horse-carriage drivers.

Union president John Samuelsen praised the committee’s stance, arguing that carriage drivers—many of whom are immigrants—have been unfairly vilified. According to him, “They are hardworking immigrants who take good care of their horses, and have consistently been attacked and slandered by monied interests who care nothing about animal welfare.”

Animal-rights advocates, however, condemned the vote as a “sham”, accusing the committee of ignoring widespread public concern. These groups have campaigned for years to abolish the industry, arguing that modern city traffic poses unacceptable risks to both animals and people.

A Long-Running Battle Reignited

The debate surged back into public view earlier this year when a carriage horse collapsed and died near its stables. Disturbing images and videos circulated widely online, fuelling renewed demands for the carriages to be banned permanently.

Claims of Accidents, Abuse, and Unsafe Streets

Critics argue that horses become easily startled in chaotic urban environments, leading to dangerous incidents. They claim the animals are routinely overworked, kept in outdated stables, and sometimes forced into traffic conditions that violate city regulations. Reports of runaway horses and collisions with vehicles have intensified calls for reform.

NYCLASS, an animal-welfare organisation, emphasised:
“Horses have collapsed, even dropped dead on the streets recently. Several have bolted into traffic, injuring New Yorkers and leaving others narrowly unharmed.”

Mayor Adams Backs the Ban

Mayor Eric Adams, who has publicly supported eliminating the industry, sharply criticised the council’s decision. He said the majority of New Yorkers favour ending the era of horse-drawn carriages, and accused lawmakers of ignoring public safety.

“It’s a shame that the City Council has once again refused to follow the will of our citizens,” he said.

Political Drama Inside the Council

Friday’s vote was triggered by the bill’s sponsor, Council Member Robert Holden, who used a procedural rule to force action. After the proposal was rejected, Holden denounced the process as “one of the most undemocratic displays” he had witnessed.

But council leadership pushed back, arguing that Holden failed to secure adequate support and that such a divisive issue requires constructive engagement among all parties.

Central Park Management Weighs In

The Central Park Conservancy—the influential nonprofit that manages the 843-acre park—also backed eliminating the industry, citing its impact on safety and road infrastructure.

Leave a Comment